Bear Sightings Alert
The bears are back.
There have been numerous sighting of black bears in the Burnaby, Coquitlam and Maple Ridge areas.
Now that summer is behind us so goes a bear`s food supply. The berries have gone and with the salmon run finished for the year, the bears are hungry.
Bears are naturally curious and they are attracted to food and garbage. Do not leave any kind of food or garbage behind. It is extremely important to put all garbage in safe containers and if possible, rinse out any containers of food.
Personal Safety Tips
If you come across a bear please remember the following:
• Make noise as you go, talk loudly or carry a stick
• Do not wear headphones
• Carry a mobile phone with you, and a whistle if possible
• Bring a dog with you but keep it on a leash
• Keep young children close to you
• Never approach or feed a bear
• Tell someone where you are going and how long you will be gone for
• Avoid secluded or isolated areas
• Avoid running or sudden movements
Lastly, remain calm. Face the bear, without making eye contact, and slowly back away.
The provincial Conservation Office Service handles all issues regarding bears. To report a bear sighting call 1-877-952-7277.